Triple universal?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 28 12:05:16 PST 2011

On Dec 28, 2011, at 12:36, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:

> Is there any way to make a PPC, i386, x86_64 universal for a 10.5.8 target?

Sure. On your Leopard machine, edit macports.conf and set universal_archs to ppc ppc64 i386 x86_64. Then install ports with the +universal variant.

I would not attempt to cross-compile for Leopard from a Snow Leopard or Lion machine. Cross-compiling might work on a port or two but probably you'll run into problems soon that we won't know how to solve.

I also wouldn't recommend using just three architectures (i.e. excluding ppc64) because some ports have trouble building for an odd number of architectures.