Can I fix bugs in the source of a port and use macports to build and install?

Scott Webster sewebster at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 22:14:40 PST 2011

Don't have time for a super detailed response right now, but:

I'd set up a local portfile repository, probably containing just the
one portfile (should be instructions in the guide or on the website
somewhere).  Then make a patch file that fixes the problem you want to
correct in the source, and add it to your local portfile so it gets
applied before building.  Dealing with patchfiles is also covered in
the guide.  Of course, submitting the patch upstream or even for
inclusion in the macports portfile could work too.

Scott