problems installing glade3

Tim Bunnell bunnell at asel.udel.edu
Tue Feb 22 04:05:55 PST 2011

Thanks Ryan.

On Feb 21, 2011, at 11:44 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I'll redirect this reply back to the mailing list for the benefit of anyone else following the discussion. Use "Reply All" if you reply, so the discussion stays on the list.
>
> On Feb 21, 2011, at 20:13, Tim Bunnell wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the pointers Ryan. A sort of related question: is it really necessary to have separate instances of gcc for macports, or would there be some way I could coerce it to always just use the version installed with Xcode?
>>
>> I'm not sure how informative the logs would have been. Maybe I missed something but it appeared that everything ran smoothly until gcc segfaulted. In any case, I updated Xcode this morning (it was one minor revision behind) and something about that (I guess) fixed whatever the problem was since I was then able to compile gcc44 with macports.
>>
>> We'll see if the problem emerges in the future again on some other package.
>
> Most ports in MacPorts do use the gcc that comes with Xcode; those ports that don't -- and require a separate gcc port -- have specific reasons for doing so. In the case of atlas, that reason is that it needs a Fortran compiler, which the gcc ports provide (gfortran); Xcode does not include a Fortran compiler.
>
> I'm glad you got gcc44 compiled using an updated Xcode. Certainly older Xcode versions are known to cause problems; that is why newer versions of Xcode are released. :)
>
> As you may know, Xcode is not updated by Software Update; you must become aware of the existence of newer versions of Xcode via some other means, and update it manually.

Director, Center for Pediatric Auditory and Speech Sciences (CPASS)
Head, Speech Research Lab    | Adjunct Associate Professor
duPont Hospital for Children | Comp. and Info. Sciences / Linguistics
Voice: 1+302+651-6835        | University of Delaware
Fax:   1+302+651-6895        | URL: www.asel.udel.edu/speech/