perl5, perl5.* changes

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Feb 26 15:28:36 PST 2011

On Feb 26, 2011, at 14:02, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Martin Krischik wrote:
>>
>> Am 26.02.11 05:02, schrieb Ryan Schmidt:
>>> Doesn't this update therefore break everybody's system?
>>
>> The answer is YES.
>
> I didn't know you were everybody.
>
> (hint, it didn't break people who were already on perl5.12).

Ok, I meant: everybody who doesn't have specific perl needs and just let MacPorts manage it for them and install perl5.8. All those people would not expect to have to do anything other than "sudo port upgrade outdated", and all those people will be ill-equipped to know that they are supposed to twiddle variants of the perl5 port, or rebuild all compiled p5-* modules. These people don't care about perl, they just care about other software that happens to use perl, and that's an implementation detail they expect the package manager to handle for them. This upgrade should have been handled in a way that "sudo port upgrade outdated" would have worked properly for these (and all) users.