perl5, perl5.* changes

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Feb 26 22:10:59 PST 2011

On Feb 27, 2011, at 00:02, Scott Webster wrote:

> So can we revbump all the affected p5 ports now?  Is it all p5- ports
> or just some of them?

It was said that only the p5-* ports that compile things need to be rebuilt (not those that just install files). If that is true, then those portfiles that say "supported_archs noarch" would not need a revision bump.

However, the separate perl5.8/perl5.10/perl5.12 ports give the impression that users can install multiple versions simultaneously and expect all their p5-* modules to work with whatever is active. It sounds like this is not actually the case, so perhaps first we should clean up this situation, move perl 5.12.3 into the perl5 port, mark perl5.8/perl5.10/perl5.12 as replaced_by perl5, then finally revbump the affected p5-* ports.