Problems with gnuplot from marcports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 5 18:45:27 PST 2011

On Jan 5, 2011, at 11:22, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

> TextEdit added an "txt" extension to the file, so, the file qhdmmint.gplt was saved as qhdmmint.gplt.txt in the disk. This was why gnuplot didn't find it! Now, erasing the "txt" and moving qhdmmint.gplt.txt to qhdmmint.gplt I got my graph normally. The weird thing is that qhdmmint.gplt.txt appeared without the "txt"extension in Finder, that was why I was confused with the names...

Yes, the Finder hides filename extensions by default. One of the first things I do on my Macs is disable that feature. It may help Grandma be less scared of her computer, but it does not help people who know how computers work. To disable this feature, choose Preferences from the Finder menu in the menubar, click Advanced, and check the checkbox "Show all filename extensions."