MacPorts Leopard + Apache 2.2.17 + PHP 5.3.5 + WordPress 3.0.4 + 1 million or so users per month issue

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 31 17:59:18 PST 2011

On Jan 31, 2011, at 19:27, Betty Bronner wrote:

> We've unfortunately had to revert to the Apple Apache and Entropy PHP for the time being.  The problems were happening too frequently.  Of course, that means we are now back to square one.
>
> MacPorts is pretty much a last-ditch effort to try to continue to use Leopard to host the site.  We're evaluating all options but we're running out of them very quickly.  I've tried building the software myself from source but it typically just breaks somewhere halfway through the build and I give up.  Everyone on the Internet is all "Linux or bust!" with no support or love for OS X Server.  Plus, Apple recently terminated the OS X Server product line.

Well, they discontinued the Xserve server hardware line, and replaced it with the Mac Pro Server and Mac mini Server hardware lines. The Mac OS X Server software remains unchanged.

There's no reason why a Mac OS X web server shouldn't work exactly as well as a Linux web server, but of course I realize that doesn't help you while you're experiencing these problems, until we identify the cause of them and fix it.

But, you say that these problems only occurred with MacPorts Apache and PHP, and do not occur with Apple Apache and Entropy PHP? Or is the problem just less frequent now? That's interesting... though I admit I don't know how it helps us get closer to a diagnosis.

> I found this:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/26039
>
> But obviously that isn't included yet or it would show up in the variants list.

I suppose I should just add it, and then improve it (move all the SAPIs to separate ports -- #19091) later when I have time to sort that out.