update apr-util fails looking for Berkeley DB

Gwen Barnes gwen.barnes at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 16:54:27 PDT 2011

I'm trying to update apr-util (a dependency for subversion, which I'm
trying to update.)

My installed ports list includes a current version of db46, which
apr-util says it depends on:

> db46 @4.6.21_6 (active)

However, when I try to upgrade apr-util I get:

> sudo port upgrade apr-util
Password:
--->  Computing dependencies for apr-util
--->  Fetching apr-util
--->  Attempting to fetch apr-util-1.3.12.tar.bz2 from
http://www.apache.org/dist/apr
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for apr-util
--->  Extracting apr-util
--->  Configuring apr-util
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
shell command failed (see log for details)
Log for apr-util is at:
/opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_apr-util/main.log
Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>

I attach the somewhat long log file, but it appears that it's trying
to find files from db46 and failing.  It looks like it searches for
each of the database versions and then declares it not found.  Here
are some clips from the logfile:

:info:configure checking for Berkeley DB 5.1 in /opt/local/include and
/opt/local/lib/db46...
:info:configure checking for Berkeley DB 5.0 in /opt/local/include and
/opt/local/lib/db46...
:info:configure checking for Berkeley DB 4.6 in /opt/local/include and
/opt/local/lib/db46...
... etc
:info:configure checking for Berkeley DB 1.0.0 in /opt/local/include
and /opt/local/lib/db46...
:info:configure checking for Berkeley DB... not found
:info:configure configure: error: Berkeley DB not found.
:info:configure shell command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_apr-util/work/apr-util-1.3.$
:error:configure Target org.macports.configure returned: configure
failure: shell command failed (see log for details)
:debug:configure Backtrace: configure failure: shell command failed
(see log for details)
    while executing
"$procedure $targetname"
:info:configure Warning: the following items did not execute (for
apr-util): org.macports.destroot org.macports.configure
org.macports.build
:notice:configure Log for apr-util is at:
/opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_apr-util/main.log

I'd appreciate any assistance getting this working.

-Gwen