MacPorts is hijacking account on MacOSXServer

ben ben at cogs.com
Mon Jul 25 13:24:49 PDT 2011

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 15:01:25 -0500, Rodolfo Aramayo <raramayo at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Yes you are right but still everything inside '/opt/local' is
'root:admin'
> Shouldn't it be 'macports:admin/staff or wheel'??
>

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 14:54, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 25, 2011, at 14:44, Rodolfo Aramayo wrote:
>>
>>> IMPORTANT
>>>
>>> For those if you running MacPorts on MacOSXServers...be aware!
>>>
>>> The latest installation of MacPorts is taking over mobile accounts on
>>> MacOSXServer
>>>
>>> Obviously the installer does not determine the presence of 'mobile'
>>> accounts and finds the next available UniqueID number available and
>>> assigns it to the 'macports:staff'
>>>
>>> The problem this creates is obvious, mobile users using that
>>> particular UniqueID lose control over their directories and files
>>>
>>> While the problem can be easily fixed by reverting the usernames to
>>> their old ones, it is not clear to me what implications this will have
>>> on the macports user. Please advice here
>>
>> I am not familiar with "mobile accounts".

Could be an OS X server account that is synced with a network home. Each
account is numbered sequentially. The Default Directory Administrator
account is number 1000 and it counts from there.

I haven't looked at macPorts lately but if the default account is over
1000 then local and network accounts could collide.

Ben

>>> Also I do not understand why the '/opt' directory is not now owned by
>>> the 'macports:staff' user
>>
>> The MacPorts prefix is /opt/local, not /opt.

tets