KDE4 apps don't launch

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 11:35:01 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 13:19, Doug McComber <doug.mccomber at gmail.com>wrote:

>     There's a bug in the way KDE4 is handled currently; I don't know what
>     the correct fix is, but my current hack involves some launchd actions
>     that create the necessary directories and symlinks thereto in
>     ~/Library/Preferences/KDE.
>
>         ln -s /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER
> $HOME/Library/Preferences/KDE/cache-$HOST
>         ln -s $TMPDIR/ksocket-$USER
> $HOME/Library/Preferences/KDE/socket-$HOST
>         ln -s $TMPDIR/kde-$USER $HOME/Library/Preferences/KDE/tmp-$HOST
>

> I have the first symlink.  The second and third  (ksocket and kde)
> were there but were linked to non-existent directories.  Using find
> from the terminal I couldn't find a ksocket-* or kde-* directory
> anywhere.

That's exactly the problem:  the symlinks point to nonexistent directories,
so kdeinit4 won't start up.  You need to create the target directories:

    mkdir $TMPDIR/ksocket-$USER $TMPDIR/kde-$USER

There are apparently some other issues people have run into as well, but the
above was sufficient to fix it for me.

> What part of KDE should I possibly re-build via Macports to fix this?

I wish it were that simple....