Re: Postfix (Fetchmail and Dovecote) on OSX 10.6.7 ???

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Sat Jun 18 08:46:31 PDT 2011

On Jun 17, 2011, at 3:58 AM, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:

> Mail.app is a MUA (Mail User Agent)
> postfix  is a MTA (Mail Transfer Agent)
>         completely similiar in fuctionality to sendmail
> actually, Mail.app isn't able to talk to postfix at all unless one
> installs a POP3/IMAP server also - this is why one also needs Dovecot

Mail.app sends messages using smtp and postfix speaks smtp.
Postfix does not speak pop3 or imap.
Postfix CAN use dovecot to deliver local messages to a file system.

dovecot.org has some recipes to get you started.
http://wiki1.dovecot.org/HowTo

I use something similar to this one "Postfix and Dovecot with MySQL and TLS/SSL, Postgrey and DSPAM".
http://johnny.chadda.se/article/mail-server-howto-postfix-and-dovecot-with-mysql-and-tlsssl-postgrey-and-dspam/

Here is the MacPorts ports with variants I'm currently using.
  dovecot2 @2.0.13_0+mysql5 (active)
  dovecot2-antispam @hg.43880985e3dd_0 (active)
  dovecot2-sieve @0.2.3_0 (active)
  dspam-devel @git-20110520_0+debug+mysql5 (active)
  mysql5 @5.1.57_0 (active)
  mysql5-server @5.1.57_0 (active)
  postfix @2.8.3_0+dovecot_sasl+mysql5+pcre+tls (active)
  sqlgrey @1.8.0-rc2_0+mysql (active)

sqlgrey is a fork of Postgrey and supports sql storage.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)