What is the proper way to maintain a local port file?

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Sun Jun 26 03:46:49 PDT 2011

Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:
> What is the proper way to maintain a local port?
>
> There are two cases that I'm looking at:
>
> 1. Creating a new port for a program that does not currently have a port.

there's only one solution here:
running a local depository
the guide has instructions for that:
http://guide.macports.org/#development.local-repositories

> 2. Modifying an existing port.

2 solutions:
1) as above - moving the port to your local depository
2) keeping local patches
(2) can be a bit of a pain in the ass, but has the advantage that you'll
discover when and if the official port breaks your patch. With (1) your
local repository takes precedense over the official ports repository.
This has the consequense that all responsibility for mantaining the port
is now completely on your shoulders.

I've got procedures and scripts to handle both cases that you are
welcome to get and take a look at :-)

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
København N ; Danmark ; Europa