Apache2 Module Passenger for RoR

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jun 26 22:41:10 PDT 2011

On Jun 26, 2011, at 21:38, Jasper Frumau wrote:

> Initially installed the Passenger - http://www.modrails.com/ - module for my OSX Apache server following instructions http://www.frederico-araujo.com/2010/08/19/installing-rails-enviroment-on-snow-leopard-with-macports-mysql-and-modrails-passenger/ :
> sudo gem install passenger
> passenger-config --root
> sudo passenger-install-apache2-module - Ran on OSX Apache only ...
>
> Realized afterwards it did not work for my MacPorts' Apache, but only for my OSX's Apache. Then tried to find the Apache Passenger module to run Ruby on Rails on my MacPorts run Apache server which is the server I am using for local development.
>
> port search passenger
> No match for passenger found
> jaspersmbp:commandsapp jasper$ port search mod_passenger
> No match for mod_passenger found
>
> Did find mod_ruby later on:
>
> port info mod_ruby
> mod_ruby @1.3.0 (www, ruby)
> Variants:             universal

>                       scripts to be executed natively. These scripts will start up much faster than without
>                       mod_ruby. You can also extend Apache by mod_ruby. mod_ruby provides Apache API to
>                       Ruby.
> Homepage:             http://modruby.net/
>
> Library Dependencies: ruby, apache2, apr
> Platforms:            darwin
> License:              unknown
> Maintainers:          nomaintainer at macports.org
>

> Not sure if that is the same as passenger or very similar at least. Will give it a shot. Still would like to know if this is MacPorts Apache Passenger Module as used by many servers and hosters like Dreamhost or if it is different.

I do not know what web hosting companies have installed, and I do not know Ruby. But Google searches tell me Passenger (a.k.a. mod_rails) and mod_ruby are two different things. We appear to have mod_ruby in MacPorts, and we appear not to have mod_rails. Feel free to submit a port for it, or to file a port request ticket for it.