Please send contents of current mysqld file

David Gentry localbusinesswebsites at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 13 15:04:14 PDT 2011

Ryan,

You suggested that I might have a rogue my.cnf file somewhere.  I can find only one my.cnf on my Mac.  The Finder says it is a "Plain text" file, and I opened it with TextEdit:

# /etc/mysql/my.cnf: The global mysql configuration file.

# This file can be simultaneously placed in three places:
# 1. /etc/mysql/my.cnf to set global options.
# 2. /var/lib/mysql/my.cnf to set server-specific options.
# 3. ~/.my.cnf to set user-specific options.
#
# One can use all long options that the program supports.
# Run the program with --help to get a list of them.
#
# The following values assume you have at least 32M RAM!

[client]
#password       = my_password
port            = 3306
socket          = __PREFIX/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

[safe_mysqld]
err-log         = __PREFIX/var/log/mysql/mysql.err
pid-file	= __PREFIX/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
socket		= __PREFIX/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

[mysqld_safe]
err-log         = __PREFIX/var/log/mysql/mysql.err
pid-file        = __PREFIX/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
socket          = __PREFIX/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

[mysqld]
#skip-networking
skip-innodb
user            = mysql
pid-file        = __PREFIX/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
socket          = __PREFIX/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
port            = 3306
log             = __PREFIX/var/log/mysql/mysql.log
basedir         = __PREFIX
datadir         = __PREFIX/var/db/mysql
tmpdir          = /tmp
language        = __PREFIX/share/mysql/english
skip-locking
set-variable    = key_buffer=16M
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
set-variable    = thread_stack=128K

[mysqldump]
quick
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M

[mysql]
#no-auto-rehash # faster start of mysql but no tab completition

[isamchk]
set-variable    = key_buffer=16

The location is /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/databases/mysql4/files/.

How do I determine if it is a rogue file?  On March 10, I ran "port contents mysql5," and I sent the results to Bradley with a copy to you.  I don't see a my.cnf file in the contents of my mysql5 port.  Is that a problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

David

On Mar 10, 2011, at 12:04 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

On Mar 9, 2011, at 12:54, David Gentry wrote:

> I did not mean to imply that the MacPorts file, mysqld, is corrupt.  Somehow it is getting corrupted on my system, and I intend to find out how.  I did not know that every system will treat mysqld differently.  That is good to know.  However, that information just adds to the mystery.  My system is a bread and butter Mac OS X version 10.6.6.

Not *every* system. But it differs based on OS version and processor architecture, at least. So if I send you the mysqld generated on my 64-bit Intel machine running Snow Leopard, that won't work for you if your Snow Leopard machine only has a 32-bit processor. It probably also won't work if you're running Leopard or Tiger, or a PowerPC processor.

> The reason I asked for the file contents, such as a text file, is that if I get the executable file my system might mess it up.

mysqld is not a text file. It is a compiled executable program.

> I will continue to pursue other avenues to solve the mystery of why my system corrupts the MacPorts mysqld.  As I have more information, I will pass it on to the email list.  It might help someone.

I doubt your mysqld is corrupt.

Assuming you are following the wiki instructions correctly, and they are not working for you, I believe you have files on your system that are interfering with the normal way of setting up MacPorts MySQL. Perhaps a rogue my.cnf somewhere containing references to the files in /usr/local/mysql* that you already deleted.