Transferring complete MacPorts prefix to other Mac (was: Two simple questions)

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Mon May 9 18:59:51 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 06:16, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> On May 8, 2011, at 12:59, Rodolfo Aramayo wrote:
>
>> Say I set up a complex installation of MacPorts (i.e., tonos of different ports) using standard procedures (i.e., everything installed in the /opt/... directory) in an Intel iMac
>>
>> My questions are:
>>
>> 1. Can I now just copy that directory to another iMac having the same hardware architecture (i.e., from a i386 to another i386 or x86_64 to another x86_64)???
>
> If you really want to, and know what you're doing, yes, you should be able to do this, if the arch and OS version match, but it would be a one-time operation; after the copy, the two MacPorts installs would be separate, and you would upgrade ports separately on each computer.
>
> [...]
>
> I recommend you simply install MacPorts on the second Mac and install the ports you want on it, completely separately from the first Mac.

I do something similar by enabling "portarchivemode" on my desktop and
then using rsync to copy those packages to my laptop where I install
directly from the archives. I've only experienced one port that seems
to require a different build between the two systems. This might be a
better, supported, option, if also a more lengthy process.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448