coreutils ls color (was: another question...)

Tue May 10 07:03:42 PDT 2011

Rodolfo,

are you really sure? Why should PS1 (the prompt value)
have anything to do with ls showing color (or not)? There's
no connection between those two settings and your, how
you call it, "rationale" doesn't explain this.

Oh, and BTW: What you discovered is IMO *the* prime
reason, why it's a BAD idea to have GNU stuff "too early"
in the $PATH. Other ("system") tools might expect a certain
behaviour after having figured out the operating system. Hence
it's bad to have ls/tar/… way up front, if your not really on a GNU
system (which you aren't, when you're on OS X).

Alexander

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 15:59, Rodolfo Aramayo <raramayo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Answer. No
>
> Read the rationale in my previous message
>
> --Rodolfo
>

> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 08:55, Arno Hautala <arno at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 23:54, Rodolfo Aramayo <raramayo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Ryan, Alexander,
>> >
>> > Ok this is the deal.
>> >
>> > To solve the problem you need to add the following into your:
>> "/etc/profile
>> > or ~.profile"
>> >
>> > ==========
>> > PS1='\[\e]1;My Desk\a\e]2;${PWD}\a\
>> > \e[0;34m\]\
>> > [\t][\u at MYCOMPUTERNAME]\n \#\$ \
>> > \[\e[m\]'
>> > ==========
>> >
>> > Rationale:
>> >
>> > Apple's good old "/bin/ls" is different from GNU's
>>
>> Did you copy the wrong section of your .bash_profile? Changing the
>> PATH makes sense, but what does the shell prompt have to do with GNU
>> vs System coreutils?
>>
>> --
>> arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu
>>
>> pgp b2c9d448