PHP5 development environment using older versions

Phillip Koebbe phillipkoebbe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 10:06:36 PST 2011

On Nov 10, 2011, at 11:56 AM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> It sounds like you want a snapshot of the whole ports tree, rather than a sprinkling of ports. If you do this, and remove the main repo from sources.conf, macports wont try to installer newer versions as it wont know about them.
>
> This is basically like using a local svn repo for the port tree, but never updating it.

That would work great if I didn't want my cake and eat it too :) As Ryan pointed out in his reply, most users want current versions of ports, and I do too, with the exception of these PHP development-related ports. Do you know if it's possible to toggle back and forth? If I were to take a snapshot of the tree from some point in time to install some older things, would I be able to switch back to the main repo to install something else? I understand that there might be some cross-over problems if I'm installing something newer that might upgrade something older, but that's not something I'm terribly concerned about right now.

Thanks, Jeremy. I appreciate the quick response.

Phillip