'portarchivetype' and 'portarchivepath'

Jason Penney jpenney at jczorkmid.net
Fri Nov 11 05:47:06 PST 2011

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has ever considered splitting
'portarchivetype' into two different settings?  One being the type of
archive to create, and the second being a search list of archive types
to install.

Currently, if I have 'portarchivetype tgz' I'm building tgz archives,
and port only searches for tgz archives, which means if I switch it to
'portarchivetype tbz' it won't find any of my existing tgz archives.
Since I use archivemode to share builds to all the Macs on my network
this is a problem.  I'd like to see something like:

    portarchivetype tgz # build tgz archives
    portarchivetypesearch tgz tbz # look for tgz, then tbz archives

Then if I changed to build tbz archives, it would still load the
existing archives.

Also, is there any chance we can get 'portarchivepath' back?  For years
this was pointed to an NFS share.  Any port built on any system on my
network all shared the same 'portarchivepath' pool with great success.
I don't find the 'archive_site_local' to be a valid replacement since
it's read-only resource (although I'm not suggesting it be removed, just
that both be supported).

Thanks,
Jay

--