Can I use Macports to update Enthought python?

David Nicholls david at mso.anu.edu.au
Fri Nov 25 22:27:44 PST 2011

On 26/11/2011, at 5:14 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> It returns:
>>
>> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/Python which is an alias pointing to the Enthought python.
>>
>> and, to confirm, when I run Python it is the Enthought version that runs.
>
> /Library/ is not a MacPort-provided Python. They should all be based on /opt/local/bin/pythonX.Y
>
> You might consider `port select …`

Yes, but I was trying to do two things (on a Mac):  use the lazy-man's Python complete install provided by Enthought, and run it through Spyder.  Seems like never the twain shall meet :-(  Or at least, not yet.

But it has become an interesting challenge.  I managed it with independent installs or Enthought, Spyder and QT with a previous version of Enthought a couple of years ago, but not using Macports.  Really messy (QT stuff all over the place) and very time consuming...

DN