MacPorts selfupdate fails& cannot write to location

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Oct 1 16:45:30 PDT 2011

On 28164-7-23 05:59 , William H. Magill wrote:
> Returning to a problem I was having earlier before "life" interrupted ?.and am still having.
>
> I realize that the registry.db file does not exist. What I don't understand is the "couldn't write to this location" part of the error.

It's a bug (fixed in svn). It's looking at the permissions on the
registry dir, sees that it is not the owner, and the group and world
writable bits are not set, so it concludes that it cannot write to that
directory.

> I have no problem simply wiping Mac Ports and sting over but upgrading from Snow Leopard (where I had last run Mac Ports 1.9) to Lion and attempting to upgrade to MacPorts 2.x "should work."
> I also realize that the flat registry is/was gone because of a previous failed "self update"? but why can't it write?

What makes you say the flat registry is gone? Is there nothing in
/opt/local/var/macports/receipts?

- Josh