port upgrade outdated from 2.0.2 to 2.0.3 messed up user database

David Herron david at davidherron.com
Mon Oct 10 17:11:24 PDT 2011

Eek!

I did the following on both my Mac Mini and my laptop (both running Lion)

   sudo port selfupdate
   sudo port upgrade outdated

This moved me to macports 2.0.3.

Immediately after those two commands I tried to do a couple more port
operations but got this message:-

   mainmini:~ david$ sudo port install nodejs npm
   sudo: unknown uid: 501
   mainmini:~ david$ sudo port install nodejs npm
   sudo: unknown uid: 501

Obviously the error is coming from "sudo" and it didn't even get to the
"port" command.  My /etc/passwd no longer has an entry for "david" ... there
are a bunch of entries whose name start with _ like _timezone or _cvsmroot
or _ftp ..etc..

I logged out and logged in, and now my shell prompt reads:-

   mainmini:~ I have no name!$

(Note: it earlier read "david" rather than "I have no name!")

Now I'm confused because I just tried this stuff again and it worked.  That
is, I just tried "sudo" again.. and it works.  And I just tried a new login
session, and got a shell prompt that had my name in it.  All the behavior
mentioned above is now corrected.  I didn't do anything so maybe there is a
time delayed fix that happened in the background?

Any ideas?  To make it clear I started this email alarmed that maybe I was
going to be locked out of both my computers.  But now that it's fixed itself
I am worried about why it spent a bit of time being broken.

+ David Herron