netpbm fails to download using svn

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 00:49:37 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 03:20, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> On 28164-7-23 05:59 , Brandon Allbery wrote:
> > You're reading backwards.  *Someone* thinks so, which is what the OP is
> > complaining about; see http://trac.macports.org/ticket/29692 .  (In
> short:
> >  they aren't fixing svn checkout, because they think svn is evil.  I'm
> > somewhat boggled by the comment in question; if they don't like svn, why
> is
> > the port using it?)
>
> That's not an entirely accurate summary of the maintainer's position.
> It's more like "svn over HTTP is evil, and svn over HTTPS is
> significantly less evil."

As I read it, over https was only slightly less evil; their real complaint
was the lack of any kind of checksum.  (Which I don't actually take that
seriously; if the VCS doesn't validate that it got the actual files it
requested then it's fundamentally broken, and if the version it requested
isn't the same as the one intended then either the VCS is fundamentally
*really* broken or someone has been going behind its back and needs their
fingers broken.)