problem with the use of macports os x lion

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 17 11:53:18 PDT 2011

On Oct 17, 2011, at 07:56, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2011, at 8:11 AM, François Laenen wrote:
>> I'm feeling a bit desperate since I updated for Mac Os X Lion 10.7, just because the extraction process, the "tar" command, does not work anymore because it's a powerpc command!
>
> That is strange. IIRC macports won't use a tar command it installs, and 10.7 should have installed a useable tar command.

MacPorts doesn't install any tar command. The gnutar port installs a command called gnutar, not tar.

So it sounds like the system's tar command is the one that's faulty. To verify, use:

lipo -info /usr/bin/tar

On my Snow Leopard system, I have:

$ lipo -info /usr/bin/tar
Architectures in the fat file: /usr/bin/tar are: x86_64 i386 ppc7400

If you see output that doesn't include x86_64 and i386, then your tar command is not compatible with Lion and should be reinstalled, from your backups or by reinstalling the operating system.