How to create a package uninstaller

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 15:18:53 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 17:54, Michael O'Brien <
Michael.T.OBrien at notes.aero.org> wrote:

>        And there's the rub.  The metapackage installs and works just fine,
> thank you very much, but I've now been asked to come up with a way to
> UN-install it.  Frankly I don't know how to do this.  The info we need is
> buried in the metapackage file, obviously, but if the Apple installer puts a
> log receipt anywhere of what it's done in a format I could use to build
> something to remove all those files, I've not found it yet.

man pkgutil

Note that the Apple installer doesn't necessarily record *everything* needed
to remove packages, nor does it help you with shared paths that might need
to be retained for other packages to work, which is why third party
uninstallers are dicey at best.