error installing tomcat6

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 17 22:37:57 PDT 2011

On Sep 17, 2011, at 11:08, Mr. Puneet Kishor wrote:
> On Sep 17, 2011, at 5:17 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Sep 16, 2011, at 11:26, Puneet Kishor wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I tried `sudo port install tomcat6` on a Lion desktop and got the following
>>
>>> :info:build /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_java_commons-fileupload/commons-fileupload/work/commons-fileupload-1.2.1-src/build.xml:54: Directory /Volumes/roller/Users/punkish/.maven/repository creation was not successful for an unknown reason
>>
>> Looks like:
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/30448
>
> Thanks Ryan. I can confirm that the following worked --
>
> $sudo port install tomcat6 build.asroot=yes
> ..
> --->  Activating tomcat6 @6.0.32_0
> --->  Cleaning tomcat6
>
> The issue was reported and resolved 7 weeks ago. Any way to ensure the fix is in the script?

That is a workaround, not really the fix we want committed to the port.

MacPorts 2's default configuration uses a separate user (called "macports") to build software, thus preventing ports from writing to arbitrary locations on the hard drive. tomcat6 wants to write to your home directory, which this restriction prevents. Building as root lifts the restriction and thus allows the build to succeed, but we don't really want the restriction lifted; we want tomcat6 to not attempt to write to your home directory or other forbidden locations. Patches to implement this would be welcome.