Question

Rodolfo Aramayo raramayo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 14:10:25 PDT 2011

Sorry I forgot to add the User-list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
Date: Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 14:29
Subject: Re: Question
To: Rodolfo Aramayo <raramayo at gmail.com>

On Sep 29, 2011, at 10:36, Rodolfo Aramayo wrote:

> Ryan,
>
> Is it my imagination or Macports is downloading and not longer
> compiling ports for gcc43, gcc44 and root?
> Why this decision? Since when?

Since a month or two, we have a server building some ports for Snow
Leopard, and MacPorts 2.0.0 and later will download and use those
binaries if available. We may later add a server for building ports
for other OS X versions, and we hope to increase the number of ports
for which we can offer binaries.

Why? Because it means users can install software more or less as fast
as they can download the binaries, and not have to wait for things to
compile.

If you don't want binaries, you can use the "-s" flag, meaning "build
from source", e.g.

sudo port -s install gcc43

-Ryan

P.S: For further questions, please ask on the macports-users mailing list.