port select and load/unload was Re: mysql55

Chris Janton face at CentosPrime.COM
Tue Apr 3 12:59:16 PDT 2012

On 2012-04-02 , at 10:45 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Good question. I don't know if we've ever thought about whether launchd plists should be managed by port select. I don't have a particular opinion about whether it would be useful or not, but if you think it is, maybe others do too.
>
> One potentially problematic scenario to consider, if we were to do that, is this: user selects mysql51, user uses your hypothetical "port load mysql-server" to start mysql51, user selects mysql55. Now mysql51 is still running, and the launchd id corresponding to it is mysql-server, but the launchd plist that's in place at the id mysql-server no longer refers to mysql51; it now refers to mysql55. So how do you stop the mysql51 server? You can't. You wouldn't have this problem if you had used "port load mysql51-server" in the first place, because you could then just "port unload mysql51-server" later to unload it.
>
> Admittedly it's pretty similar to another problem we already have: user installs port, user loads port, user uninstalls port; now the server is running but the plist that would let you stop it has been deleted.

I simply wasn't sure if the 'port select' mechanism was intended to be quite so far reaching.

As an 'administrator' I should know which applications I have running as daemons, so making me keep track of them is what I would expect.

I think that it is perfectly acceptable that I should be able to do

  sudo port unload mysql5-server
  sudo port load mysql55-server

as part of what I need to do to change versions.

8)