/usr/local question

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Wed Apr 4 15:39:15 PDT 2012

> > No it didn't magically ended up there. You installed it there.
> > And you were told before you installed it there that it will
> > end up there.
>
> I didn't say that, I said *magically*.
> Of course I know there was no magic involved. Phew...

Jesus, I am not implying you think it was magic.
I am just pointing out that you installed it there yourself,
and if it broke things, that's not a failure of the packaging system.

> Of course MacPorts WILL install libpng in /opt/local.
> But when the port that requires libpng is then built the compiler may chose
> the libpng that got installed in /usr/local.

Yes. And if /usr/local was where macports installs its stuff,
then this would mean that the compiler picked up what macports
installed, by default.