/usr/local question

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Thu Apr 5 03:12:30 PDT 2012

On Apr 05 19:52:23, Christopher Vance wrote:
> I'll also mention that OpenBSD exclusively uses packages which are
> compiled elsewhere; all ported software is installed from packages;
> they have already reached where NetBSD is trying to get to.
> In addition, OpenBSD culture is to install from packages,
> not by building from source yourself.

Yes. I come from OpenBSD and miss this in macports.

> Maybe they have patches which prevent GNU crapware from inspecting
> bogus locations before building packages?

No. They simply have CONFIGURE_ARGS in the Makefiles
(analogously, macports has configure.args in Portfiles)
and it is each port's bussines to set that appropriatelly.
And when a port fails to do that properly, and picks up
something unsuitable that the packaging system doesn't know about
(which does happen), it is considered that port's problem.

> OpenBSD also uses prerequisite packages and configure tweaks
> to ensure that the stuff they use is installed in /usr/local
> from OpenBSD packages,

That's not done by configure tweaks
- checksums are kept for the installed files.