How remove port info but not installed files?

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Apr 18 09:38:27 PDT 2012

On 2012-04-18, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the simplest way to get rid of the macports files from texlive
> and aysmpotote _WITHOUT_ disturbing the original files from the direct
> TeXLive 2011 installation?

First off, have you experienced any problems with this setup?

Now, you probably don't need to remove anything. Aside from the space
on disk, the two prefixes _should_ ignore each other. /usr/local can
be a headache if other software tries to link to it instead of the
MacPorts provided items, but I think you should be safe with the
/usr/local/texlive prefix.

If you want to keep asymptote, you'll need to keep the MacPorts
provided texlive installation as well. You could probably hack around
this by editing the asymptote Portfile so that it does not depend on
texlive, but then you may also need to (re?)patch asymptote so that it
links to /usr/local/texlive instead of /opt/local. This may be as
simple as editing or adding a source path so asymptote knows where to
look. In either case, this type of usage isn't exactly supported by
MacPorts. You may find others who have performed similar hacks and
some help there; I know requests often come up for help in using the
system or 3rd party version of some library instead of the MacPorts
version. These are usually met with varying degrees of success.

With the current MacPorts design, you'd be best off uninstalling
TexLive 2011 and using the MacPorts version. This is just for space
savings though. Overall, I don't think there should be any
compatibility issues in having both on your system. I think MacTex
even includes an application for switching which texlive installation
to use, and this includes support for selecting the MacPorts version.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448