Which version of "Wine", or am I on the wrong track?

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 21:11:52 PDT 2012

> I am pretty sure there are ways in MacOS itself to make and edit
> a screen recording; you most probably do not need to bring the whole
> wine monster to your system just to do that.

There are. But:

1. QuickTime Player cannot record system audio. It only records sound
input. So I can either use the built-in microphone (gets sound as
feedback out of speakers), or a headset mic, but not both. It records
audio playback as mono, and loses left/right channel information.
2. All of the 3rd party stuff I've seen so far -- iShowU, Capture It,
Screen flick -- puts a giant, horrendous visible watermark in the
front center of the screen in demo mode, making them unusable. IShowU
(certain) and Screen Flick (I believe) put a large text message, and
sharp text does not encode well ruining the quality; Capture it (I may
have this backwards with Screen flick) puts a large, sharp image in
the middle that again, does not compress well. Additionally, both
Screen Flick and Capture it use their own format for recordings,
restricting your ability to do any editing (the only output to a
generic format is after encoding/compressing, so you've lost all your
quality before you edit and have to re-compress/encode.). None worked
even partway well enough in demo mode to even consider paying for.
3. Editing ... well, the people before you mentioned avidemux and
ffmpeg; one person has given me tips for iMovie editing and I'll
probably send more questions that way this weekend.
--
Political and economic blog of a strict constitutionalist
http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.com

This message may have been spell checked by a laptop kitten.