Can't connect to local MySQL server error

Rodolfo Aramayo raramayo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 00:05:58 PDT 2012

Hi,

 I have followed the instructions outlined in the document:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MAMP

And I can see my test web site and the output of phpinfo.php but I am
consistently getting the following error:

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock' (2)

which I have tried to correct unsuccessfully. Both mysql and php are
pointing to the same directory: /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/

Please help

Thanks

--R