OT upgrade

Jamie Paul Griffin jamie at kode5.net
Tue Aug 7 23:12:23 PDT 2012

== Phil Dobbin wrote on Wed  8.Aug'12 at  3:39:29 +0100 ==

> James Linder wrote:
>
> > I'm using snow-leopard and everything works perfectly:
> > gnome-terminal, wireshark, gimp, wget, latex ... After watching the
> > woes unfold here why would I upgrade, what does lion offer that I
> > don't have? (facebook connectivity etc is rather like a lead
> > balloon)
>
> I personally am going to stick at Snow Leopard. Apple seem hell bent (&
> financially, who can blame them) on turning their Mac line of computers
> into glorified, very expensive iPads.
>
> Also, judging by the amount of posts I see here, on the Xcode list, etc,
> every time there's an upgrade, people spend weeks trying to sort it out
> & get back to semblance of normality so they can continue working. Also
> I'm fortunate enough not to have to write Mac apps for a living, so SL
> works fine for me so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>
> In all honesty, if it wasn't for Mac Ports, I'd probably just stick to
> Linux & have done with it.
>
> Cheers,
>
>   Phil...

I haven't had these problems with Lion; but then I bought my macmini with Lion preinstalled rather than upgrading from Snow Leopard. Having said that I do recall problems when I upgraded from Tiger -> Leopard -> Snow Leopard in one form or another so I'm in no hurry to "upgrade". I've got a nice setup on my Lion machine now and don't want broken program headaches as others' are experiencing. I haven't looked at the changes in ML in any detail but I can' imagine i'm missing out on anything too spectacular ATM. My Mac is really just for browsing and as a backup mailserver, most of my UNIX work is done on NetBSD anyway.