Question about Xcode 4.2.1 on Lion

Eric Cronin ecronin at macports.org
Sun Feb 5 08:45:41 PST 2012

>> I will use the git-core port as my example…see below for the errors I am
>> seeing all over the place as of recently:

The newest version of git-core was briefly removing /dev/null from the system during it's build, Ryan checked in a fix for it a day or two ago.  I'm guessing this was causing both your problems with ports and with things like Chrome, unix-like systems become pretty unhappy when /dev/null doesn't exist.  Rebooting will restore the device, and selfupdating will get a version of the git-core port which doesn't remove it when installing.

Thanks,
Eric