Help please

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Tue Feb 21 20:44:30 PST 2012

Hi
[snip]

>>> checking for Apple Objective-C runtime... yes
>>> checking for GNU Objective C runtime... no
>>> configure: Using Apple Objective-C runtime
>>> checking for Apple Foundation library... no
>>> configure: WARNING: GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT is not defined in your environment, preventing the use of GNUstep's Foundation library
>>> configure: error: Could not find a working Foundation implementation
>>
>> This is an error we've encountered a few times before, such as:
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/28452
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/30298
>>
>> We didn't receive further feedback from the reporters so were unable to pursue the matter further. Can you attach your config.log? Maybe it will shed further light.
>>
>> In #28452 we presumed software installed in /usr/local was interfering. Do you have anything installed in /usr/local? If so, remove it and try again.
>>
>> In #30298 we presumed the user's operating system components had become damaged and the OS should be reinstalled. So that's another avenue you could pursue.
>

> haycorn:~ # ls /usr/local
> .git		Library		etc		share
> .gitignore	README.md	include		texlive
> Cellar		bin		lib
>
> This was put here by latex install ...
>
> haycorn:~ # mv /usr/local/ /usr/oldlocal
> haycorn:~ # port -d selfupdate
> [snip]
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Error installing new MacPorts base: shell command failed (see log for details)
>
> OK it'll take me a day or so to backup everything I want, so reinstall (which will certainly work, it did work before) and I'll report back

Snow Leopard and install CD: Insert CD 'Instal Mac OS X': whirr whirr (1 hour) {but this way is very easy)

then

DEBUG: Error installing new MacPorts base: shell command failed (see log for details)
  while executing
"macports::selfupdate [array get global_options] base_updated"
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Error installing new MacPorts base: shell command failed (see log for details)

OK next I'll format the disk then install and report

James