clamav and bzip2

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Feb 23 12:33:37 PST 2012

On Feb 23, 2012, at 3:29 PM, John Brown wrote:
>   The clamav source configure script found that error still embedded in the compiler from an Xcode dmg I downloaded yesterday from the Apple developer site.

an old .dmg for an old Xcode for an unsupported OS version.

> Doesn't Apple check for known bugs in their download packages?

you would have to ask Apple.

> The macports clamav made no such complaint.

I know, because it compiles with -O0 on darwin 8 to avoid the compiler bug.

> Exactly how does the most recent code from CLAM detect the presence of a known and resolved compiler bug and the macports version of clamav does not???

the macports version works around the bug by disabling compiler optimization (one of the reasons why people use macports is because the port maintainer figures out this sort of thing so that everyone doesn't have to do it individually).

> Possibly that bug is my slowdown with the macports clamscan.

It's not likely.

as we're getting close to the point in the thread where you tend to start insulting people, this will be my last message.

--
Daniel J. Luke