Transferring ports via USB drive using fetch

João Pedro Jericó de Andrade jpjandrade at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 13:32:57 PST 2012

Hello,

I'm buying a new computer while travelling and would like to install MacPorts on it. Because internet connections in hotels are usually unreliable, I would like to know if I can take the ports on my current Mac through an external drive. I don't need to precompile them because time / space is not a constraint, only internet connection, so what I was thinking of doing is copying my distfiles from /opt/var/macports/distfiles/ and just pasting them in this directory in the new computer. I then just sudo port install them all and hopefully the fetch phase will be skipped and the ports will be installed just as it would if I had downloaded them.

Is my thinking correct? Would this work?

Thank you very much,

João Pedro