help

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 28 03:42:47 PST 2012

On Jan 27, 2012, at 08:37, Jason Swails wrote:

> I know 4.6 has it (I've installed it and used it), but the last time I installed 4.6, _that_ was the current developer version and gfortran was only available as a variant.  Since it's now among the stable releases, I didn't know if MacPorts built gfortran into the standard build without needing to specify a specific variant.

Yes, that is the procedure the maintainer of the gcc ports has thus far followed. According to the maintainer, java and fortran problems are frequent reasons why a given development version of gcc doesn't build, therefore in the port for the development version of gcc, java and fortran are not on by default. Once the version goes stable, it's usually possible to enable java and fortran by default. With version 4.6 it was several minor versions before gfortran was able to compile; now that it does, it's on by default. Also with 4.6 java support was removed from the port entirely; I'm not sure if was removed upstream, didn't build, or what.