Problem installing rpm using macports

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sun Jul 1 17:27:37 PDT 2012

On 01/07/2012, at 10:00 PM, macports-users-request at lists.macosforge.org wrote:

> I don't want to install an rpm on my mac. I want to build rpm packages on
> my mac for installation on other CentOS or Redhat machines.
>
> 2012/7/1 Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
>
>> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Wim Deblauwe <wim.deblauwe at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I asked how to install rpm using macports on askdifferent:
>>>
>>> http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/54781/problem-installing-rpm-using-macports
>>> and I got the answer to try the macports mailing list, so I am doing
>>> that now. Anybody who can help with this?
>>>

>> Just looking at the portfile, it's looking pretty out of date.  I suspect
>> it's not being actively maintained (and don't see offhand why anyone would
>> use it anyway; it's not like you can usefully install any RPM packages ?
>> even noarch packages would probably require a metapackage representing OS
>> X-provided files  as dependencies.
>>
>> Beyond that , this is apparently something going wrong with fixing up
>> Python paths.  More detail should be available via "port log rpm"; can you
>> pastebin or attach the output from that?

Brandon I don't know what you really want to do, but what you SAID will not work (it may work in a trivial case).
If you want to build rpm for xxx distro eg CentOS5 then you need to build on CentOS5. I have examples where rpm built on COS6 won't work on COS5 machines never mind the foibles of OSX.
VBOX works nicely on mac and I have guests to build rpm for RedHat 9, COS5 and COS6 in 32 and 64 bit mode.

Save yourself the heart ache and believe that you cannot cross build rpm. ('course you can, but you really have to be on the ball to do that). Much much easier to install and use vbox

James