wireshark fails to start

myron kowalskM at cs.moravian.edu
Tue Jul 17 09:49:18 PDT 2012

On Jul 17, 2012, at 11:03 AM, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:20 AM, myron <kowalskM at cs.moravian.edu>
> wrote:
> I had been following a thread about wireshark the other day and
> decided to start up my wireshark which I had
> just upgraded. I hadn't used it for a few months, and it was working
> then. Now I'm getting a similar problem as the
> other poster. I didn't get what his solution was.
>
> I start in an X11 window. An empty gray box appears and then
> everything crashes. Here's what in problem report that
> comes up.
>
> For what it's worth, I am still not seeing this --- but I'm using
> XQuartz, not stock (Lion) X11.app.  I *did* see one oddity, though:
> it didn't display its splash screen or open its main window until I
> explicitly switched focus to XQuartz.  It seemed to be "hung" before
> I did that.
>
> --
> brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b at gmail.com
> wandering unix systems administrator (available)     (412) 475-9364
> vm/sms

For what it's worth, here's the system call errors that are happening.
It would be nice to get wireshark working again. Any ideas what to do?
Reinstall macports?

   X11.bin           select    4      1  Interrupted system call
          X11.bin           writev   35      1  Resource temporarily
unavailable
             bash __pthread_canceled   22      1  Invalid argument
             bash             kill    1      1  Operation not permitted
             bash          setpgid    1      1  Operation not permitted
             bash        sigreturn   -2      1
             bash            wait4    4      1  Interrupted system call
          notifyd            lstat    2      1  No such file or
directory
             perl __pthread_canceled   22      1  Invalid argument
             perl        sigreturn   -2      1
  privileged_star __semwait_signal   60      1  Operation timed out
        quartz-wm           select    4      1  Interrupted system call
        quartz-wm        sigreturn   -2      1
               sh             open    2      1  No such file or
directory
               sh             read    5      1  Input/output error
        wireshark             read   35      1  Resource temporarily
unavailable
        wireshark           unlink    2      1  No such file or
directory
            xinit             kill    3      1  No such process
            xinit             read   35      1  Resource temporarily
unavailable
            xterm            chown    1      1  Operation not permitted
            xterm             read   35      1  Resource temporarily
unavailable
wireshark: Fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X
server /tmp/launch-rJaRmL/:0.
select(0x4, 0xBFFFF440, 0xBFFFF3C0, 0x0, 0x0)		 = 1 0
recvfrom(0x3, 0x1478058, 0x1000)		 = 0 0
write_nocancel(0x2, "wireshark: Fatal IO error 35 (Resource
temporarily unavailable) on X server /tmp/launch-rJaRmL/:0.\n\0",
0x63)		 = 99 0