universal macports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 3 11:53:53 PST 2012

On Mar 3, 2012, at 04:35, Marko Vranic wrote:

> I'm new with macports,so does universal macports(i386,x64) work on MAC OS 10.5(Leopard)?

Welcome to MacPorts! On Leopard and Tiger the default for universal_archs is i386 ppc. You can change this to i386 x86_64 in your macports.conf file if you wish. I would imagine that for most ports this would work ok. Of course you'll also have to actually request the universal variant for each port that you want to install universal. (For example: "sudo port install zlib +universal"). If you always want to install ports universal, you could add "+universal" to your variants.conf.