Macports and Qt development

Francisco García public at francisco-garcia.net
Sun Mar 4 05:46:20 PST 2012

Hi! I would like to know if other Mac/Qt (optionally also Python) developers are having as many problems as I do.

MacPorts installs Qt as a normal library, although there is a variant (non default) that will compile it as a OSX framework. That is fine for non developers, but I noticed that not having a framework is a nightmare if I want to debug my Qt apps. Some times I am forced to compile without debug info, other times my screen get full of warnings about missing symbols. In those cases I can debug my code if I filter out all the warnings I get with every debugger step.

For some reason, lately I can no longer debug without thousand of warnings a hello world in qt. Something which could be fixed before with DYLD_IMAGE_SUFFIX=_debug

Also I use a lot pyside and ipython, which do not compile if Qt was installed as a framework. Therefore it is hard to debug apps with them

My solution so far is installing the official Qt binaries which are compiled as a framework. Since that is the official default, I suppose that is the reason I no longer have problems working with other Qt related tools such as Pyside and iPython gui.

So the big question for MacPort users is: Do Qt developers manage their packages with MacPorts or just run away from it when there is something that involves Qt?

cheers,
Francisco