Linux equivalent libraries on macports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 13 14:11:20 PDT 2012

On Mar 13, 2012, at 13:57, anupash wrote:

> I am a new user and running Mac OS X Lion. I have set up macports used it to
> install a variety of packages. However I have to install few packages which
> I need to compile my thesis code. The equivalent dependencies for linux
> (Ubuntu) are autoconf automake libtool make gcc libssl-dev iptables-dev
> libconfig8-dev libnet-ip-perl libnet-dns-perl
>
> I was able to find out the macports equivalent for most of them but not for
> iptables-dev. I know it is a very linux specific dependency but still is
> there a way to get it?

iptables is for Linux only:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iptables

It is a program used to configure the Linux firewall; the Linux firewall is not available on OSX.

For similar functionality on OSX Snow Leopard and earlier, look into ipfw instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipfw

On OSX Lion and later, ipfw is deprecated and replaced by PF:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PF_(firewall)