Should I Uninstall MacPorts to Reinstall?

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Thu Mar 22 06:25:56 PDT 2012

> I'm a new user, and I think this is how I ask a question.  I am downloading the digiKam photo application, and to do that, I was required to download Xcode and Macports.  I downloaded Xcode 3.0 and then I downloaded Macports.  In the terminal, it said:
> "Warning: The installed version of Xcode (3.0) is known to cause problems.  Version 3.1.4 or later is recommended on Mac OS X 10.5."
>
> So now I have downloaded 3.1.4 Xcode. Do I need to reinstall Macports because of the new Xcode version?  I am worried that during the Macports installation, it said that certain things being downloaded were not found (written in the Terminal window), and I wonder if that's because I had an older version of Xcode that it says causes problems.  But I'm worried that if I uninstall Macports, I might mess something up, especially since MacPorts website says uninstalling can be a drastic action.  Honestly, I don't really know what Macports is at the moment (should look into that).  I just downloaded because of digiKam.  I didn't have it before, so how can uninstalling be drastic?  Does it have to do with the software I download using MacPorts?  I'd assume since I haven't made the final step of downloading digiKam, it would be okay to uninstlal since I haven't used MacPorts.  I've opened/installed it but have not used it to download software.

MacPorts itself is okay, but anything that was built on your system when you had the flaky version of Xcode 3 may have issues. You can rebuild all the packages, or you can wait to see if any of the programs are unstable first.

There is information about reinstalling all packages on our site, as well as ways to automate the process:
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

 * log what ports you installed
 * uninstall everything
 * clean all build directories
 * install the desired ports again

> And does Xcode come with your Apple computer?  MacPorts does not?

Apple does not ship Xcode with the computer, nor do they ship MacPorts.