Is this a bug in RVM or MacPorts?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 08:11:50 PDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 11:03, Phil Dobbin <phildobbin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25/03/2012 15:30, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> > RVM has apparently decided that Bash is the only shell they ever
> > need to support.
>
> Slightly unfair sweeping generalisations apart, if you look at rvm's
> source code:
>
> <https://github.com/wayneeseguin/rvm.git>
>
> it's written in bash to a great extent but fully supports zsh.

zsh will not use ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login.  This is not a bug in
zsh; the names of the files should be enough to tell you that they are
intended for bash.

If RVM only puts its configuration in the bash-specific files, it can not
really be claimed to fully support zsh.

distributions (it only deals with Perl & is not to be confused with
> homebrew), does not have this problem. It places a line in
> .bash_profile to source a long & thorough script in .bashrc for its
> tweaking of your $PATH.

So it also believes bash is the One True Shell.

As I also commented in my last post, I have only the problem now of
> when sourcing my bash_profile in an already open window, Mac Ports

You're not supposed to re-source the profile; unless special care has been
taken to insure idempotence (and doing so is very rare), it will repeat the
session setup and you will see behavior like this.  This is what the
.bashrc / .zshenv / etc. files are for.