Downgrading to 10.6.8 from 10.7.5 -- Now what?

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 17:07:56 PDT 2012

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <
larry.velazquez at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2012, at 6:05 PM, Michael_google gmail_Gersten <
> keybounce at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have "downgraded" my system from 10.7.5 to 10.6.8.
> >
> > Now, what do I need to do to make Macports happy?
>
> A bit unorthodox, but you should probably follow the migration
> instructions as if you'd done an upgrade.
>
> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
>
> vq

OK, those migration instructions are a disaster!

Please, by the time I realized I needed a list of requested ports -- for
running the script at the end, it was gone.

> The requested status of the ports will also not be preserved, since it is
not available to the script.

I'm looking at a file -- myports.txt -- that is useless to me:

keybouncembp:~ michael$ head myports.txt
  apple-gcc42 @5666.3_7 platform='darwin 11' archs='x86_64'
  apple-gcc42 @5666.3_9 (active) platform='darwin 11' archs='x86_64'
  cctools @822_2+llvm30 platform='darwin 11' archs='x86_64'
  cctools @829_1+llvm30 (active) platform='darwin 11' archs='x86_64'
  cctools-headers @822_2 platform='darwin 11' archs='noarch'

As soon as I saw this, I realized I was much better off getting the list of
requested ports, and working from that, rather than trying to make sense of
multiple versions of different ports that were no longer needed -- but all
the requested information is now gone!

Additionally:
> sudo port clean all

is trying to clean every port known to macports, whether or not I've ever
seen it -- not only does it take forever, for all I know it's creating
directories and status files for each port as it goes.

So ... I'm hosed. My port registry is now useless.

Restoring from Time Machine, and reviewing what I had as "requested", and
going from there instead.

--
Political and economic blog of a strict constitutionalist
http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.com

This message may have been spell checked by a laptop kitten.