MacPorts on multiple Macs

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 12 02:59:56 PDT 2012

On Oct 12, 2012, at 04:12, Petra Humann <humann at tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:

> I would like to install MacPorts on multiple Macs (MacBook, iMac, ...) with Mountain Lion.
> I would copy the directory /opt/local to every Mac and the directories from the page
> http://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.uninstalling also.
>
> Is this the right way? Or is there a more effective way to do this?

I suppose there isn't a "right way" since MacPorts is not designed to be used like that. What you describe should work, but it would only be a one-time copy from machine A to B (C, D, etc.). If you later install additional software on A, you'd then have to install it separately on B (C, D, etc.). Unless you look into using rsync or something to sync them up.

Now that we have pre-compiled binaries, there's less need for such things. Just install MacPorts separately on each machine and let it download the binaries. Unfortunately we don't have binaries for Mountain Lion yet.

It seems to me like it should be possible to somehow instruct MacPorts to look for binaries that have already been installed on another local computer. I don't know how to do that though.