port selfupdate incredibly slow

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 16 06:04:44 PDT 2012

On Oct 15, 2012, at 18:19, cowwoc wrote:

>     You're right. It's writing an awful lot of data. Why is that? 25 seconds times an average of 10MB/s (which is a conservative estimate)... it's writing out around 250MB.

That seems large to me. I haven't looked at the ports.tar file on the rsync server, but the ports.tar.gz you can get from our web site [1] is 21MB, it decompresses to a 123MB ports.tar file, which extracts to 149MB of files. So the ports.tar you got seems to be twice as large as it should be?

[1] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/PortTreeTarball