Monitoring Internet Usage

pat at secondeguerre.net pat at secondeguerre.net
Sun Sep 2 11:53:12 PDT 2012

I am. Still, even with our sky-high prices on cellular phones and internet access, there are still a few, independant providers that DON'T put any cap. Montreal DSL is one, Teksavvy is another, Radioactif is a third, Acanac is a 4th. They all resell ADSL, and some are selling cap-less Internet access by cable, where ADSL is not feasible, and don't tie you in a time-defined contract.

Considering a GB of data costs less than 0.15¢ to transmit, even doubling the cap for $20 amounts to grand theft IMHO.

But I completely understand your point about the email address. This is the single reason why I never relied on any ISP-provided address, but opted to use a paid-for eMail service. Free services such as Yahoo! and GMail just don't cut it. As an example, you can get an @infomaniak.ch adress for around $10 a year, unlimited storage, SSL-secured, unlimited attachments, no advertisements, IMAP/POP/SMTP access + calendar functionality. I believe you can get the same functionality if you buy hosting from OVH.

My address is in Canada, but my server is in Switzerland. North American hosting services just aren't competitive compared to european ones, plus the US has no privacy laws whatsoever, which is a major concern when dealing with eMail. Last, if you don't receive emails from companies you can't even remember their name, likely it's not very important if they lose your address ;)

Pat