Custom builds using macports

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Sep 13 14:30:43 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 05:21:10PM -0400, Dan Aldrich wrote:
> I'm using nzbget and would like to try the nightly builds of the new
> version. I tried to build it, but seemed like an endless dependency
> list. I gave up after a while. Is there a way to use the existing
> nzbget port to build a nightly build?

if the nzbget projects offers some kind of publically accessible source
control, then yes, you can definitely do that. See the guide[1] on the
fetch phase on how to fetch from version control (you probably need to
set fetch.type and then depending on the type of version control some
URL and revision/tag/etc).

Note that it is MacPorts policy to never build off HEAD, current trunk
or whatever the most recent commit is in the version control system
used. This is because this would be a moving target and MacPorts
wouldn't know whether it has been updated and the build would not be
reproducible. If you don't care about that and don't aim for inclusion
in MacPorts' tree you can safely specify HEAD, trunk, etc. at the cost
of having to update using
	sudo port -n upgrade --force nzbget.

[1] http://guide.macports.org/#reference.phases.fetch
--